Jeanie grew up in Penticton, BC and has acted as in-house counsel for the Penticton Indian Band since 2008. She has worked with First Nations and Indigenous organizations across Canada since 2003.
Jeanie provides practical and strategic legal advice to assist First Nations with short and long-term sustainable economic and community development goals. She is particularly motivated by identifying and completing activities in a manner which maximizes cost savings and wealth generation for her clients.
Jeanie’s experience includes:
- working with First Nations to prioritize and resolve matters that are causing conflict or preventing progress;
- working on-site to resolve a significant number of complex legal and developmental goals within a set time period in order to minimize travel costs and ensure projects are completed;
- facilitating good will and positive relationships between clients to realize knowledge transfer and cost savings on similar projects;
- assisting with grant-writing and funding proposals for legal and economic development projects;
- drafting land codes, membership codes, custom election codes, matrimonial property laws, taxation laws, by-laws and policies;
- advising on economic development, including business structures and tax exemptions;
- all aspects of First Nations’ taxation;
- leasing and land management under the Indian Act and Land Codes;
- Council training on good governance;
- resolving internal disputes;
- advising on employment matters including harassment, lateral violence, discipline, dismissal and policy development; and,
- delivering training and presentations to staff, Council and community on all of the above.
Jeanie is a past contributing editor to the taxation section of Native Law, one of the most widely used Indigenous Law texts in Canada. Prior to starting her own firm, Jeanie worked for Woodward & Company and made her first appearance in court in the landmark Tsilhqot’in case before the late Justice Vickers. Jeanie is also a former BC Supreme Court law clerk.
In her free time Jeanie enjoys spending time with family and friends, fishing, gardening, and reading.